Thursday, May 04, 2006

Networking is for More than Developing Business

I was reminded this afternoon by a good friend and excellent relationship developer that networking has more use than building a business pipeline. She asked, "What groups (organizations) are you connecting with just in case you decide that legal marketing is no longer your path?" My first thought was that I cannot imagine that I would ever want to do anything but legal marketing. But her point was important. I spend so much time focused on the networks of others that I might be neglecting my own.

Personal professional networks are not just about finding jobs or developing business. They can also be about learning, growing professionally and enjoying the ambiance of peers. Being someone that works to mentor others in the benefits of networking I am not being as diligent with my own.

I do belong to the Legal Marketing Association (LMA)... but no other. I feel so shortsighted. She did suggest the Marketing Executives Networking Group (MENG) so I will definitely check them out. And I am going to look for others. When I am not networking for the firm it will be nice to explore the minds of marketers not in the law firm sphere.

By the way. My friend is Kathy McConnell, a VP at McDermott & Bull and GM of their Executive Network. It is a good thing to listen to those that know what they are talking about.

Graphic Artists are Crazy

I might know. I am one. But, not like, "Wooo Hooooo, la la la la la, put me in a rubber room!!" Go online and look at any portfo...