Friday, March 13, 2009

Your Voicemail Message Can Be a Huge Marketing Tool!

Does this sound familiar? "You've reached the voice mailbox of (insert name here). I am either on the phone or away from my office. Please leave me a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible."

Honestly, how much do you trust "they" will get back to you as soon as possible? Actually, when I hear that script I pretty much figure "they" will get back to me when they darn well please and I'm left feeling let down.

Fortunately, there are a couple of voicemail recordings that will do a better job of marketing you. I encourage you to try one of these two ideas.
  1. "You've reached the voicemail of (insert name here). Today, (insert current date here) I have meetings at 9:00AM, and 12:00 Noon. I will make every effort to return your call when I am available.

    This script sends a really strong, clear message that you pay attention to your voicemail and are attentive to the needs of anyone calling. It also requires that you are attentive and are disciplined.

  2. "Welcome to the voicemail box of (insert name here). Please leave a message and your call will be returned as soon as possible.

    I have been using the "welcome" message for a long time. Often people leaving me a message comment on how much they enjoyed being welcomed to my voicemail. They state it feels personal, real and warm.
Good marketing discipline requires that we look at every touch-point and do our best to maximize the moment. Your voicemail message is a great place to demonstrate you care.

Graphic Artists are Crazy

I might know. I am one. But, not like, "Wooo Hooooo, la la la la la, put me in a rubber room!!" Go online and look at any portfo...