Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Learning Happens Every Day

Bearing the moniker, “Attorney” is not a statement of social status; It is a job description. Or, more simply stated, it is not who you are, it’s what you do.

I came across an attorney this week while visiting with attendees at an event that made every effort to exude his status as “socially superior” among fellow man. He pointed out that certain functions and involvement with others was subject to a scale of worthiness.

In the contest of life it is fun sometimes to come across individuals that have inflated their position and title to represent what it is not. The joy of watching a jaw drop as they are addressed as an equal is too good to pass up.

Though I do not believe this is the case within my firm today, I did once work at a firm where certain partners were incredulous if anyone disagreed with their opinion.

Today though I had a personal moment when I thought it was happening again… And thankfully was proven wrong. Not in a bad way, but in a good way. I talked… discussed my fears straight-out, and was right up front with the people I work with and for (not something I would have been brave enough to do several years ago).

My conversations with smart and caring partners pointed out to me a truth I already know, yet in the moment, had forgotten.

That truth is, "Change is tough". Not everyone can or will change within the pace of my expectations. I value these lessons in life. I can never be ready enough to listen and learn.

Graphic Artists are Crazy

I might know. I am one. But, not like, "Wooo Hooooo, la la la la la, put me in a rubber room!!" Go online and look at any portfo...