I started step one in that process this week. Using the 'new matter report" generated by accounting I can see what new matters (and clients) are opened each day by individual partners. I then went to visit different partners to ask about the client.
- How did you get this work?
- What was the referral source (if there was one)?
- What is the business of the client?
- What is the scope of their operations within California?
- How comfortable are you to work with this client or on this matter?
- Do you feel comfortable that this client/matter fits into your overall practice?
- Would you feel comfortable talking with partners in other practice groups about exploring additional business issues the client might be facing?
- Would you like to land more clients like this? Why?
But if I get deeper into the questions the opportunity to engage the firm more broadly (and more profitably) will become apparent. And, in this process, I can become more intimately aware of the business development aptitude/attitude of the individual partners. Not everyone works best in big team efforts, and some have just been waiting for someone to ask.