Thursday, December 07, 2006

Remember Every Detail!

My role at an event my firm sponsors is to make sure that all of my partners and guests are taken care of; ensure that our visibility is maximized, check out room setups, seating arrangements, etc. Basically I am the concierge for the firm at the event. Being a good concierge I should also check out any scripts and check any words that might be said about the firm or attorneys from the podium. Oops!

Today was a very high profile event drawing an audience of more than 1,100 VIPs from the region. Early in the presentation the Emcee starting naming sponsors and calling forth a representative from each to present them with a shiny glass thank you thing. In a heartbeat it occurred to me that they had not asked me for a name, or even mentioned this part of the event. Who's name would they call? Who was going to walk up there to accept the shiny glass thing? I quickly walked up the side of the large room filled with hundreds of people trying to spot one of my partners. I watched where they sat and suddenly couldn't spot them... the speaker is going too fast.... WHERE ARE THEY!?

From the podium; "Our presenting sponsor is..." (I can't see ANYONE) "...Rutan & Tucker..." (OH MY GOSH WHAT HAPPENS NOW!?) "...and here to accept our thank you for their support..." (Here comes whatever may come!) "...the head of the firms Corporate & Securities group..."

(Suddenly I knew -- and much, much too late) "...the head of the firms Corporate & Securities group... Bruce Allen."

Well thank you Mr. Speaker for the wonderful promotion in front a dozen of my partners (including the real leader of the Corporate & Securities group), and their guests, and at least 200 or 300 people that know me or the real head of the group.

So, what did I do? The only thing I could do. I walked calmly toward the dais, accepted the shiny glass thing and beat a hasty retreat to the back of the room. Fortunately my attorneys recognized the mistake was not of my making. Phew!

Lesson: Being a great concierge is remembering ALL of the details that might potentially involve my firm. Harmless or not my job is to help events happen as expected. That includes remembering to check scripts.

At least, I think, I did a good job of looking lawyerly.

Graphic Artists are Crazy

I might know. I am one. But, not like, "Wooo Hooooo, la la la la la, put me in a rubber room!!" Go online and look at any portfo...