Wednesday, October 03, 2007

A Goal Reached . . . And a New Problem

Today I ran out of volunteers (ouch) but for a really good reason. This afternoon a partner came by my office and let me know that he would not be able to attend the exclusive dinner I'd arranged with a small circle of elite CFOs in the area -- too many deadlines on too many deals and not enough time. In his case I absolutely believe such was his situation. He is one of the attorneys most willing to get out there and network to build his book and his efforts are definitely paying off.

So I trotted around the office looking for a replacement from among the lawyers I've focused on for the last several months (in regard to helping them build their practices). One after another sheepishly apologized but they really were just to busy to break out of their schedule.

This is a good thing, right? I pay some attention to helping them expand their opportunities and lo and behold, they are reaping the reward. I could not have been happier to hear so many say, "no".

But that does not help me solve my problem. Who is attending the dinner, and, how am I going to keep feeding people into a very aggressive networking calendar if all of my "go-to's" are not available? For the record, I did find a replacement, so, this evening is solved.

Now my task is to recruit new volunteers to get on the practice building train.

I like that what I am doing at this firm is showing promise at a personal level (personal to the lawyers hoping for long-term success). I hope the results will encourage others to step up to play.

Graphic Artists are Crazy

I might know. I am one. But, not like, "Wooo Hooooo, la la la la la, put me in a rubber room!!" Go online and look at any portfo...