Now, I find myself as a mentor -- it is not a role I seek and I am grateful that someone else would ask my advise. While considering my position as "someone influencing another" I have arrived at the rules I will observe:
- Mentors should have no connection to the reporting structure of the person being mentored.
- A mentor’s role is to listen with no agenda and offer alternative choices and thoughts with no goal for myself.
- The key traits a mentor needs to possess are empathy, understanding, and a desire to witness the growth of another.
- A mentor needs to be experienced in profession and in life relative to the person seeking a mentor.
- Mentors cannot directly benefit or be negatively affected by a choice of their charges.
- The relationship between the mentor and mentored is a private relationship.
- Those mentored choose their own mentor. Period!