Senior Marketing and Development Executive
Successful brand strategist with a proven ability to grow revenues and market share in the professional services marketplace with firms such as Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison and Deloitte & Touche.
Senior professional services marketing executive known for ability to position a firm and partners for explosive growth. Proven track record of strategic positioning, creative conceptualization, business and relationship network development and motivational leadership with an innate ability to grow and maintain strong client relationships.
Areas of Expertise Include:
Revenue & Profit Growth | Partner & Firm Positioning | Strategic Planning | Brand Management | Relationship Development | Market Research & Analysis | Team Selling Leadership | Collateral Development | Influential Presentations | Public Relations | Event Leadership | Public Speaker & Coach | Positive Client Relationships
Education & Affiliations
- Masters of Business Administration (Marketing), National University, San Diego, CA 1986
- Bachelor of Arts (Business Administration) National University, San Diego, CA 1983
- President of the Board of Trustees, United States Adaptive Recreation Center
- Advisory Board, Barney & Barney LLC
- Advisory Board, PeopleBest, Inc.
- Board Member, Orange County Venture Group
- Board Member, Association for Corporate Growth
- Board member, National University Institute for Civic Entrepreneurship
- Service on numerous boards and committees for industry organizations and fundraising events.
Business Acumen / Leadership
- Accomplished the successful re-branding of Rutan & Tucker LLP in less than six months resulting in a complete reversal of declined market presence. Accomplishment resulted in multiple accolades to the firm and self from industry and community.
- Developed the Fast Start business development mentorship program currently in use at Rutan & Tucker to enable personal growth for potential “rainmakers” and create synergies across multiple practice groups. To date more than 20% of senior associates and partners have volunteered for the program realizing at least significant new client matters in the three months since inception.
- Successfully developed creative marketing strategies for multimillion and multibillion dollar corporations and partnerships, orchestrating from concept to completion to accomplish brand, product, and service offering goals. Budget responsibilities of over $15 million.
- Created marketing and sales initiatives for international law firm Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison. Programs and strategy received significant recognition within the legal community for innovation, creativity, and firm growth results. The firm grew from 250 attorneys to 750 while partner earnings doubled in the same period.
- Created and led the marketing strategies across multiple regions for the technology practice of Deloitte & Touche resulting in a #1 market share in all markets.
- Produced and directed “Deloitte Fast 50” programs (an annual awards program honoring fastest growing companies within a region based on revenue growth) resulting in more than $38 million in new billings over a four year period.
- Created and orchestrated numerous mar-com projects on national and regional levels. The projects included a wide range of mediums from simple collateral development and product/service rollouts through video production, user manuals, catalogs, annual reports, and print and advertising.
- Directed and participated in press conferences, developed communications strategies, published numerous press releases and established favorable media relations to enhance positioning and public relations goals.
- Directed a national sales force posting 15% + sales growth in each of three years and increased new account sales over 125% in a declining market.
- Founder of BAM!, a business communications and marketing agency working with early stage and technology and professional services companies. Clients included Price Waterhouse, Ingram Micro, Thomas Bros. Maps, Geneva Companies, Mercury Technologies Group.
- Profiled by the Orange County Register as a leading “catalyst” in the venture capital and professional services arena.
- Nominated in 2006 and 2007 to OC Metro’s “Hot 25” list of market/community influencers for accomplishments in marketing and community involvement.
- Acknowledged voice in professional services and fast-growth company marketing and leadership.
- Nominated for the 2007 Elite "Excellence in Legal Marketing Award" where I was cited for influence on law firm marketing innovation.
- Current nominee for the 2008 AeA Glenn Ross Technology Community Service Award for efforts to bolster and support the technology business community in Southern California.
- Author and publisher of the Marketing Catalyst blog on professional services marketing and business relationship development. The MC Blog is cited as a leading resource on the Internet for professional services marketers.
- Talented speaker and trainer with keynote appearances for UCLA, National University, UC Irvine, the American Electronics Association, Software Council of Southern California, Legal Marketing Association, American Mortgage Bankers Association, American Marketing Association, multiple venture capital and fast-growth conferences, and Co-Emcee of the Annual AeA Technology Awards. Speaking topics include marketing, leadership, relationship development, entrepreneurship, branding and professional services marketing.
- Rutan & Tucker, LLP / Full service business law firm
Chief Marketing Officer / June 2005 to present
- Deloitte & Touche LLP / International professional services firm
Sr. Practice Development Manager / Sr. Marketing Manager, 2000 to December 2004
- Brobeck Phleger & Harrison LLP / Corporate law firm
National Marketing Manager/Director, 1997 to 2000
- Somerset Automation / Venture-backed enterprise software company
Marketing Director, 1993 to 1997
- BAM! (Bruce Allen Marketing) / Business communications and marketing agency
Owner and Principal, 1990 to 1993
- Informative Research / National mortgage credit reporting agency
National Marketing & Sales Director, 1987 to 1990
- South Coast Stationers / Commercial office products distributor
Partner / Sales & Marketing Director, 1984 to 1987
- United States Marine Corps / Specialized government agency providing preemptive combat services
1973 to 1981 - Final Rank and Title (E-6), Senior Drill Instructor,