Friday, May 12, 2006

Enabling a Business Development Aptitude

When an attorney (or staff) checks in for their first day at my firm they are hustled off to a full day of orientation to learn all of the in's and out's of how to get things done. Along the way they are handed a large manual with lots of words, pictures, circles and arrows offering even greater detail about what they might need to know. And for all of that, not everything is included.

What they are not getting is (my oversight in the short time I have been at the firm) a business development orientation. My department does reach out to every attorney to handle bios, photos, Martindale updates, etc. But that's just scratching the surface. Next week I will be working out an orientation package that covers the following:
  • An outline of the firm's history and traditions
  • An introduction to the brand program at the firm.
  • An snapshot of the firm's current market position and data on the specific practice area of the attorney.
  • A questionnaire asking about past business development experiences (if any).
  • A personal business development plan form.
  • A review of current marketing resources and firm URLs.
  • A discussion of the firm expense policies, sports tickets, and sponsorships.
  • A profiling assessment to uncover strengths specific to the individual.
I believe I stand a better chance at increasing the business development aptitude of the attorneys if I start at the front door. I know that many firms already do all of this and if you have additional tips I would love to hear them.

Graphic Artists are Crazy

I might know. I am one. But, not like, "Wooo Hooooo, la la la la la, put me in a rubber room!!" Go online and look at any portfo...