It's like being in high school and trying to impress the young man or woman you've fallen for and no matter what you wind up feeling like a total dork! When we want something really bad it just seems to keep slipping further away.
PLEASE, step back and RELAX!
Yup, it is easy to say and hard to do. But if you do not learn how to chill out with regularity you will lose perspective and all of your marketing genius will come tumbling down. Here are some tips for chilling in the midst of battle:
- Play hooky once a week. Yup, I said that. Sleep in late, read the paper front to back, walk on the beach, and then go to work to chase the day -- or just walk away after lunch. There is nothing like "taking care of me" to recharge your strength.
- Take regular three-day weekends. If your marketing efforts have hit the wall, one extra day off will not be a deal-breaker.
- Listen to guided-imagery CD's before you go to sleep. I have found that the effect of focused meditation has tremendous payoff in my professional life.
- Schedule fun activities with your marketing team (insert fun stuff to do here).
- Close your office door and take a nap. If you do not have an office door to close go to your car and take that nap. If you are not comfortable doing that just go for drive for about 45 minutes.
- Call a friend that has nothing to do with your business or a family member and have a nice chat. Take your time.
Each of us has our own way of checking out. What is yours?
(Return to Marketing Success in a Down Economy index)