I had an early dinner with some VC friends to talk shop and blah, blah, blah. Afterward I sought out the one cigar bar I heard was in the area to indulge my joy in a good stick and happened into a couple of great conversations, one of which renewed my joy for what I do.
Ali (remember the shout-out a few sentences ago) is a by-choice out-of-work marketing person looking for her next challenge and she was intrigued that my profession is marketing for a law firm. She reminded me the journey is more interesting than the destination. Her excitement about what I do reminded me of what I already know but may have forgotten for a moment:
- Marketing a law firm is so custom and nontraditional to all things book-smart that every day has new excitement and lessons.
- Marketing a law firm is still so new a profession we are all still discovering nuances at a 1000mph.
- Lawyers and law firms are incredible, non-stop think-tanks that challenge me to be at the top of my game every moment, every day.
- Law firms are first-class operations allowing me the opportunity to be in circles of influence most people dream of (even when I am not yet equal to the people and communities of the circle).
- Lawyers and law firms absolutely demand creative thinking.
Is this exciting or WHAT!? You betcha!