In all of the year the one time that we hold the most dear is time spent with friends during the holiday season (December). It is a special time when goodwill and friendship mean the most and memories last the longest. Here is what I have in mind:
- Look into your Rolodex and select the most important business relationships you value. Your list can include clients, potential clients, referral resources, and special VIPs.
- Don't forget to include friends and/neighbors that could be valuable connections for others on your invitation list.
- Be sure to include at least one "life of the party" person you can count on to ham-it-up. It always helps to invite at least one personality who is a natural entertainer (if that person is not you).
- If at all possible host the event in your home. Making the dinner so personal has an incredible effect.
- If your home is not an option find a good restaurant with a private dining room of significant impact. In Orange County (and in most cities) there are several high-end establishments that have "kitchen dining" -- a special room served only by the Executive Chef and a place of incredible service and culinary WOW.
- Option: When you sit for dinner ask each guest to declare what was special in the last year and what they hope for in the next 12 months.
- Option: Ask each guest to briefly describe the holiday traditions they enjoy with family and friends.
Do this one thing. It is worth the effort.