Monday, December 01, 2008

Being Fun(ny) is Huge in Relationship Networking

Feeling like we have nothing interesting to say is excuse number one for being a wallflower at a business networking event. But, as I have learned myself, "interesting" is not just about being serious, smart and focused. "Interesting" could also mean that I am just fun in a conversation.

Look, I am not a lawyer, or accountant, or banker, etc. And in the course of networking in those circles I drop into a lot of conversations with words and thoughts that go right over my head. Often I have no idea what they are talking about -- yet people seem to want to include me in their conversations. Why is that?

I think it's because I always seem to have the right snappy remark or a humorous story to tell. How I do that so easily is my own mystery to solve, but I know first-hand that humor trumps any other social skill in the opening moments of any business relationship.

I found this article over at Readers Digest that could help you develop your humor skills. I encourage you to give it a try. It could be the key to getting you away from the wall and into the crowd.

Graphic Artists are Crazy

I might know. I am one. But, not like, "Wooo Hooooo, la la la la la, put me in a rubber room!!" Go online and look at any portfo...