Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Facebook is a Business Tool

I am on Facebook and quite happy to be there -- it serves me professionally and socially.

The other day I jumped into a conversation with several senior executives -- I'd overheard one of them state, "Facebook is not useful for business people. It's mostly for young folks..." I emphatically replied, "Facebook gives me back my village!"

Just to be straight up, I am not paid by Facebook nor do I know anyone that works there, but what I am finding there makes a lot of social sense.

I certainly Twitter, I'm on Linkedin, I blog (duh!) and have profile pages on a few other sites around the Internet, and the common thread among these is they are all confined to a narrow professional and/or personal niche. None of them show the "complete me".

On Facebook my social and professional life cross over and people can see a more complete picture of whom I am -- which I am happy for them to know.

Look at it this way; long ago when we lived in villages and small towns everyone knew everything about everyone. It did not matter what our profession was or what friends we had -- in a village there is no place to hide. Trust was built between people that could know all there is to know. I like that.

I want people to know all about me so that I can cross the bridge between knowing and trusting as quickly as possible. And on Facebook that bridge is being built. So I update, send out "what's on your mind" posts, join groups and participate in the activities of my village.

I would encourage every professional to get engaged and use the tools we are offered to get connected, be known, and be trusted. It WILL work for you!

Graphic Artists are Crazy

I might know. I am one. But, not like, "Wooo Hooooo, la la la la la, put me in a rubber room!!" Go online and look at any portfo...